Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Next Project: Borderlands

Introduction Post
Project 1 Complete!

With my Skyrim project on hold until my partner is ready and some hard surface challenges knocked out of the way, it's time to charge into my next project:





From here on out I will be keeping my scope in check!  I think I have learned my lesson from the last two projects.  That being said, this piece should take no more than 1 month.  Here's what's in store:

A small diorama containing some supporting elements to help frame the centerpiece.  The centerpiece is a "weapon crate" similar to all the varying kinds that present sweet loot when you open them, like this:




I noticed only Hyperion and DAHL are really the only in-game companies which manufacture loot crates (Bandits have theirs as well I suppose).  I always wondered what the other companies' crates would look like, such as Vladof, Tediore, Maliwan and Jakobs.  

My play style in Borderlands tends to gravitate toward the heavy-hitting weapons that Jakobs is mostly known for.  As such, Jakobs is going to be my inspiration behind the weapons container I'll be making.

There isn't a whole lot of content to go off, mostly just the feel of the brand logo and the special skin that Claptrap has.  







However, with those two things I think it will be fun to blend an old West/Texan feel to what is foundationally a sci-fi style.  I foresee lots of wooden panels and swirly leafy designs.

Here's a number of reference pictures I grabbed, mostly for mechanical functionality:




Here's a WIP for the basic blockout of the container.  Once I am satisfied with how the doors and platforms function, I will move on to making the high poly.  It's pretty square so I don't expect it to take long.







I'll be posting updates as each major milestone is completed.  So you'll be hearing from me probably when my final blockout is done, or perhaps when the HP is complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment