Friday, November 21, 2014

November 21

It's been slow rolling these past few days.  My attention has been split between two things.  I managed to "finish" the upper region of the rifle but the proportions ended up being wrong on a very complex angled surface so I had to scrap it and start over.  I haven't exactly gotten the new upper piece modeled back out.  I've been sort of building around it since I have the basic shape down.

Unfortunately there's something "off" about my model that I can put my finger on.  It's causing my Picatinny rails to be too narrow.  I think at this stage I'm going to have to just push forward with it, and take it as a lesson.  I don't have time to rework a bunch of major parts just to get the width perfect (maybe if I were using ZBrush...).

The blue parts are more or less done, while the grey parts are what's left.

View my previous completed projects here

Monday, November 17, 2014

November 17

Got the magazine and grip in.  Slow progress over the last couple days but I should still be on par to finish in time.

View my previous completed projects here

Friday, November 14, 2014

November 14

For my first actual gun, this is rather difficult.  Well, not really difficult, as I have a pretty good handle on hard surface I think, but more just tedious.

Here's a wide shot of the stablization brace (stock) connected to the lower portion of the weapon.  I think it might be a bit too wide.  Not a huge deal, but there is one section that I would have to redo if I end up making it more narrow.

Maybe I'll have a light day tomorrow and just work on the clip and other small simple shapes.

View my previous completed projects here

Wednesday, November 12, 2014

November 12

So here's a little update on the gun I have chosen.  It's obviously not a standard-issue anything, but according to the original Reddit post this thing is an AR-15 rifle modified to be classified as a pistol in order to sidestep certain gun laws.

Here are some basic facts about the gun:

The stock is not actually a stock, but rather an SB15 stabilizing brace.
The upper part is a VLTOR brand.
The lower part is a DDLES brand.
The handguard is also a DDLES.
The grip is a Nill brand.
It uses an Osprey silencer.
From what I could find, the scope seems to be a SPARC brand, red dot sight, with a special mount that gives it extra height.  I couldn't find an exact model.

I got the bracer mostly done but I think I'm going to redo those nine horizontal slats to make them more visible from a distance.  Hopefully the bracer is one of the harder pieces because man was it a pain in the ass to model.

View my previous completed projects here

Monday, November 10, 2014

Project 7 Started!

After a nice week or so off from doing work (I played Transistor, Dungeons, and X-COM), I have recharged my batteries and am ready for my next project.  Here it is:

This is actually for the Monthly Guns and Firearms Challenge November 2014.  I'll be cross-posting here and there.

Alright, time to get at it!

View my previous completed projects here