Wednesday, May 7, 2014

May 6

Introduction Post
Project 1 Complete!

Another tiling rock texture.  First pass of course; I'll probably swing back around to add moss and other grimy buildup.



(5mb GIF, might take a second to load)

Texture Breakdown
   
I had to mask out some areas on the radiosity map, as it make some of the crevices way too dark.

[edit]

So I got another critique from James Kincaid on Polycount saying that my rocks look like "mashed potatoes" which makes me chuckle every time I read it.  He is suggesting I sharpen up my stones considerably so they look more like shattered, jagged boulder fragments.  I'm inclined to agree, however I'm not so sure that would fit what I'm aiming for, simply because these textures will be used in a cave rather than on a rubble pile above ground.


I'm trying to match the somewhat stylistic textures in Skyrim but still use a realistic base.  Here's the two references I'm trying to combine:




I think with a second fine detail pass on the normals and some mossy buildup in the diffuse, it's going to look pretty close to Skyrim textures.  I do agree with James though, that I should have a more jagged texture available for use with modular objects.  After I get the smooth-ish stone ceiling texture done, I'll move on to sculpting some jagged ones.

1 comment:

  1. I love your texture work Dennis, especially when you do animated gifs of the different maps. So cool!

    ReplyDelete