Thursday, February 6, 2014

February 6

Introduction Post

Alright!  I got most of the assets in place and most of the base colors set.  I started painting some stuff but it was getting late so I figured I would wait till tomorrow to really dive in.  I put some real simple grain on the steps and support beams.  Obviously, I have a long way to go still but I'm super excited to continue refining all the textures!  In lieu of texturing I messed around with some basic lighting and super subtle fog (not present in image).


The toon shader that comes with Unity does not receive shadows which is a huge bummer so I had to change a lot of my surface objects (floors, walls) to a different shader in order for shadows to show up properly.  I might poke around the Asset Store for some better shaders.



2 comments:

  1. Looks great so far! I bet there is a way to alter the script of the shader so it accepts shadows. Maybe you could do some looking around online or take a gander at the code in the shader and see if there is a variable you can switch on to get shadows working. A lot of times its just a matter of turning "Shadows: Off" to "Shadows: On"

    I know your just getting started but before you get too set on the lights you set up, I want you to consider using more colored lights and larger lights to brighten up the scene. Naturally a fire light has a consistent color but in order to make it more interesting, you shouldn't be afraid to change the colors to something less realistic and more fantasy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shader code is much more complex than simple scripts so unfortunately I won't be able to do it myself. It doesn't really matter at this stage though, as most of my texturing will be done with an unlit shader.

    Yeah, the lights are super placeholder at this point. I just wanted to see how the room illuminated with some sort of light source. That's a good idea though to change the color a bit to make things more interesting. What I also have is fog that will be a slightly different color to hopefully offset all the reds/oranges that are in the scene.

    ReplyDelete